I may or may not be back in the blogging land until Monday. Till then -
Archive for November, 2008
The husband’s siblings are in town as of yesterday, and so we brought our wedding album to his parents house to share since they don’t live on the mainland and hadn’t seen them yet.
We were leafing through, and in one of the “collage of faces” pages, there was my Aunt Julie. It made me stop breathing. I didn’t remember her being in the album.
We looked at the final edits book as well, and there were a few pictures of her there too.
I was just fine at their house, but as soon as I got in the car to drive home, I just started to bawl. Out of nowhere. I wasn’t holding it in or anything. I think once my subconscious realized that I was alone – everything came out all at once.
I haven’t cried like that since the weeks following her death. I kept thinking about Thanksgiving for my family (I won’t be home), and then Christmas, all without her. It still doesn’t seem like she’s really gone.
I miss her.
I’m sitting at work, listening to a podcast of my favorite morning show on a local classic rock station, and James Taylor just played a song live on the air, and I teared up at my desk.
If anyone EVER questions why being a woman is pain in the ass – reference this post (you know, along with obvious other reasons like childbirth and dealing with men in general). I effing can’t stand James Taylor on any given day. And yet, PMS forces tears to well in my eyes while sitting in my cube at 3pm in the afternoon.
I miss Amy Poehler already.
Anyway, here’s a very quick recap of the weekend’s events.
- Attended the “company party.” Here’s a word of advice for party planners. Telling all the employees to “be sure to arrive for the program at 7:30!” and then removing the bars from the party and actually holding a company meeting is NOT COOL. I’m never going again.
- Guitar Hero World Tour is SO MUCH FUN. I heart playing drums. My goal is to be able to play the drums on hard for Everlong in the next month. Lofty goals, I know.
- I now own a pair of skis! Yay! I also own a snowboard. I’m not very good with the snowboard, hence the skis. We’re going to Lutzen over New Years, so I plan on skiing (and maybe snowboarding) my heart out.
- The cat piss basement is no more. I successfully “installed” new carpeting and now it’s livable again. Which is good since the Wii is down there.
- Raking leaves SUCKS. A LOT.
- I’m officially calling for permanent 3 day weekends. I never get enough done in 2 days.
- I’m not going blond. I like the brown hair with bangs. It’s working for me. A coworker’s husband (who I’d never met) said I looked like a model on Friday. Score! However, he also said I had beautiful brown eyes in the same breath. (They’re hazel.) Oh well. He was old.
Less than an hour ago, an item was delivered to my house that has ensured that I will not have a social life for the next month.
Yes, ladies and gentleladies, I am now the proud owner of Guitar Hero: World Tour. Not just the game though – the full band kit – for the Wii.
(I just peed a little while typing that.)
OMG – SO effing excited. However, I will be confined to my basement until I have played and mastered all the songs on medium. (I know, I can’t do the hard setting. Piss off.)
In other random news of the week:
- I now have bangs. I keep bouncing between loving them and being concerned that I look like a 15 year old circa 1992. Next week, I shall be receiving highlights for the first time in a few years. I’m a little worried about this since I’ve been au natural for so long. Oh well. I’m bored. Hair = entertainment.
- My cat was deathly ill last week. I failed to mention it because I thought he might die. Final prognosis: SEVERE Inflammatory bowel disease. No lymphoma, yet. Probably will develop down the road. Treatment: prednisone and retarded expensive cat food for all of his life.
- I missed The Office last night because of grocery shopping. So, instead of swooning over Jim and hoping Creed is in this episode, I spent $150 on misc items including a freezer full of lean cuisines and a whole cut up chicken.
- Tonight is my company’s “Homecoming Gala.” (I work in the education industry, and I think they think calling a company party “homecoming” is HI-LARIOUS. I fail to see the humor or kitchiness of this idea.) I’m dragging the husband with me. I’m sure we’ll both be so excited to set up our new social-life-sucker that we’ll be making an early exit.
- Tomorrow – Ski & Snowboard Expo, laying carpet in the basement, and heavy duty cleaning in preparation for family-in-law arriving next weekend.